Parents receive emails from a parent list serve that provides resources such as Group Educational Activities (GEA’s). On a GEA students go to local museums, zoos, aquariums…etc. Students have the opportunity to learn cooperatively in a hands-on environment and complete pre and post learning activities that coincide with the activity.
ES’s help parents connect with other parents to form cooperative learning groups in which students can learn with their peers in a group setting and learn valuable social skills.
The parent team with their ES’s to select vendors that provide physical education classes (such as dance lessons, nutrition classes, swimming lessons…etc.). Parents and ES’s work together when necessary to select vendors who will provide group learning experiences (such as small group tutoring or classes).
Sky Mountain also has a parent council which meets two times per year. The parents are elected
to the council to serve as a member and they serve a two year terms. Each member
helps make decisions about the school and its policies. The parents also serve on sub
committees that help serve the needs of the school and its students. The role of the parent council member is to:
• Uphold the mission of school
• Develop/approve short and long term goals
• Monitor school’s performance and review financial reports
• Monitor own board’s performance
• Be involved in the WASC accreditation process
• Serve for a two year term, as long as their children remain enrolled at SMCS
• Plan to attend all council meetings, in person or by phone conference
• Make suggestions to improve the school
• Establish and/or chair parent sub-committees for a variety of purposes, such as graduation planning, developing a school yearbook, planning group educational activities, grant application, volunteer coordination, etc.
• Be true to school's mission, not a personal agenda
• Be positive!